[G4] Adding a Sony DVD drive

Ramsey French rammjet at bisnaga.com
Sat Mar 15 10:31:06 PST 2003

On 3/15/03 1:02 PM, "sr ferenczy" <srf7425 at rit.edu> wrote:

> there are rumors that the imac has sony drives (according to the
> article you sent the link to) but it seems like there is no proof to
> support this thought yet.
>
> sandor

>From Macintouch (http://www.macintouch.com) archives:

2/18/2003

John Bice reports an interesting new optical drive in Apple's latest iMac
model:
I just purchased a new 1.0 GHz iMac from an Apple store yesterday.  To  my
surprise the Apple System Profiler reported that the DVD drive was  not a
Pioneer drive, but instead is a Sony DVD RW DW-U10A.  Apparently  this is a
DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW drive.  I had not been aware  that Apple
changed DVD drive hardware venders.

2/21/2003

Donato Francioli followed up on some questions about the new iMacs:
I find the new iMac very quiet, just a soft whirring sound when the fan  is
going.  I also have the Sony drive in mine, and can confirm that it burns
CD-R  at 24x.  I burned a 78 minute audio CD in 3 minutes 18 seconds
(approximately).  I have not tried a DVD-RW yet as I don't have that  media,
however I do note that Disk Copy has an " Erase CD-RW/DVD-RW"  option.