[G4] Adding a Sony DVD drive

Ramsey French rammjet at bisnaga.com
Sat Mar 15 10:38:11 PST 2003

On 3/15/03 1:19 PM, "David Crandon" <tdc at attbi.com> wrote:

> OK, so it can be done? I'm asking cause a friend is about to buy a
> DP1.42 G4 but has many friends with various PC's and he wants to be able
> to trade DVD's with them.
>
> It looks like the iMac is the only one with the Sony drive as OEM now.
> But he could buy the Sony drive as a second drive and install it
> himself. Overstock.com has them for $299.
>
> David

Yes, I've been considering the same thing.

The refurbished drive at Overstock is the older DRU-500A not the latest
DRU-500AX.  Flashing the firmware should give the 500A functional
equivalency to the 500AX.

Also, he may need to get Toast in order to burn the DVD's since Apple's Disc
burning software may not recognize the add-on drive (OSX 10.2.4 might have
added partial support, but I'm not positive).  I prefer Toast anyway.