[G4] G4 problem

Ramsey French rammjet at bisnaga.com
Sat Mar 15 13:20:38 PST 2003

On 3/15/03 12:32 PM, "Matthew Wensley" <mwensley at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I bought a new dual processor 1.25 G4 in February, and have faithfully
> run software update every week.
>
> But I am having some annoying problems. Often, upon waking from sleep,
> the monitor settings have changed from 1024X 778 @ 75 Hz to 800X600 @
> 56 Hz.

This is a fairly common problem that Apple is failing to deal with properly.

A thread on the Apple discussion board:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@94.T0X8azc4icu.2@.3bbf8edd

> I am also finding that SETI at home has "unexpectedly quit" and although
> the screen saver is not running, seti is in the applications menu (I'm
> running Drag Thing) and I have to use force quit to get rid of Seti.

>From the SETI message boards:

As always for OSX users, I'd suggest to "switch" to the command line (CLI)
version of S at H , controlled with SetiCNTL (the one by Pandora Products)

SetiCNTL will "control" the CLI version of S at H, which is faster anyway as it
disposes of the CPU-power eating graphics, and will also allow you to cache
some
WUs guarding against outages (S at H or your provider).

SetiCNTL also allows running 2 S at H clients on dual processor Macs - about
doubling your output. That should sound good !
Use the SetiCNTL helpfiles, they are good.

SetiCNTL:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze35xda/software.html

Tutorials on setting up S at H on the Mac:
http://team.macnn.com/seti/index.phtml

About blanking the screen :

set that in the System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Sleep : use seperate
time
to put display to sleep

In addition, I set the system to never sleep
(hence no awakening problems that don't seem to go away from OS X)