[G4] PowerBook G4 12" Thoughts?

Vernon LeMoignan arrow at oanet.com
Sun Mar 16 13:33:00 PST 2003

On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 11:10  AM, Joe Sporleder wrote:

> I would like to know the thoughts anyone on this list may have on the
> PowerBook G4 (12" model), especially if you have one. I work for a
> small publishing company and we prefer G4 towers for most of our ad
> designer production work. However, I find that I need to travel
> between 5 different offices, including my home office, splitting my
> time between being our company's chief technical officer, training
> employees and designing ads myself. Do you think that the PowerBook G4
> 12" has enough oomph to be a primary computer, replacing a G4 mini
> tower?? My current machine is a PowerMac G4/400 with 1GB of RAM. The
> one short coming I possibly see with the 12" PowerBook, is it'll only
> go to 640MB of RAM. Our primary applications are Multi-Ad Creator
> (desktop publishing program popular in the newspaper world for
> advertising design), and of course Photoshop. The economy has been
> especially tough in my area with a drought adding to the already
> uncertain economy, but we are ready to start replacing our older
> machines with MacOS X friendly computers, as we now have all of our
> software in place to be MacOS X native.

"oomph" shouldn't be a problem. Screen size may. the 12" is an
excellent design were portability is the primary need. If it is going
to be your
only system I would consider the Tibook. The screen size and greater
expandability make it a better desktop replacement IMHO. The Ti gives
you
L3 cache, more screen real-estate, Pc card expandability, maximum 1Gb
ram, and a better video card.

Of course, you could buy an external monitor for increased workspace,
wherever it's home base would be.

either way as long as your maxing out the memory you should be ok.

Vern.