Kernal panics

db deebee at aon.at
Sun Mar 16 13:28:16 PST 2003

> Since upgrading to 10.2.4 I experience a lot of kernel paics, at
> least, those events wher the screen slowly from top to bottom
> becomes darker and a text in English, German, Japanese etcetera
> appears telling me I must restart.

Evert,

I had a similar conundrum giving me fits... finally isolated the
cause to my new (to me) HP USB2 DP Scanner - and solved it by
unplugging said scanner from the USB card when not using it. This
may not be your problem of course but for me this solution seemed to
do the trick and is not really much of an inconvenience - I don't
scan that often and when I do it's in batches, so a post-scan
session routine of shutdown/unplug scanner/restart is relatively
painless... (a log out doesn't cut it.)

> The machine is a G4 450 MP, 2 GB RAM, 80 + 30 + 120 + 120 GB HD's
> (last two through an Acard ATA133 PCI), PCI FireWire/USB2 combo
> card, and ATI Radeon 8560 driving 2 LCD's. Mouse is a Logitech MX
> 700. Furthermore 2 USB Hubs, iMic, Scanners (Flatbed USB and
> FireWire Film), USB Printer and Ethernet printer, Palm USB Cradle
> and FireWire 24x CD-RW. Internet via Ethernet to a Linux Router. I
> know, a lot of stuff...

whew!... you're loaded for bear with that rig. I'm envious.

...let us know what you find out - like groucho mentioned, bad RAM
would be a prime suspect, but in my case a new replacement stick
changed nothing except making my wallet lighter - and later, my
Quicksilver happier. since it got an extra stick out of the deal.....
And like Steve said, DiskWarrior is the jaguar cat's pajamas ...

db
Herzogenburg, Austria