DRIVE PROBLEM

Jim Blokland jim at blokland.com
Mon Mar 17 18:35:12 PST 2003

Hello:

I've got two Western Digital 80 GB drives (2MB cache) on a Sonnet Tempo
RAID 133 card, in my Dual 500 G4.  They are raided together, and NOT
used as a boot drive.  Sometimes when the computer has been on for a
while (it gets warm in there), when I restart, I get the spinning wheel
with the grey Apple, and then the 'circle with a line through it'
no-go.  Once the computer has sat shut down for awhile, everything
boots up fine.

I believe the OS goes through a system-wide check before continuing the
boot sequence, and it sees something funky about those drives (this
never happened before I installed the RAID array).  Anyone have any
ideas whether it's the heat, some kind of 'time-out' with the WD drives
-- or the Tempo RAID card acting up?

If you're running a similar config, your help would especially be
appreciated.

Best, JIM.

OS 10.2.4, 1 GB RAM, Dual 500...
--