[G4] Internal Hard Drive over 120 GB?

Stephen Spector shspector at shaw.ca
Sun May 4 17:02:36 PDT 2003

I am afraid not. And I speak from experience <hehe> here. The controller is
looking at the Volume Boot Record and writes to the very first sector some
information regarding the drive size. Since all it can see is 128gb, it
cannot "know" to partition the drive since it thinks the drive is "only"
128g

Stephen

> I would like to ask this question:
>
> If the ATA IDE controller cannot recognize a hard drive of more than 128Gb,
> would it be able to recognize a "partitioned" hard drive larger than 128Gb if
> the partitions were smaller than 128Gb?
>
> In my experience, partitioning a hard drive makes the drive "appear to be two
> or more separate drives" with separate qualities and capacities. I say this
> because I used a partitioned hard drive to run Virtual PC and the Mac behaved
> like it had two drives installed. Or, maybe it was the PC OS that was
> installed on the smaller partition that made it behave like a separate drive?

SNIP