[G4] Pram zap

Paul N. Reid pnreid at cox.net
Mon May 5 13:09:02 PDT 2003

On 05/05/2003 10:15, "Kurt Appling" <wappling at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Im useing a ti800 with osx 10.2 jag  does pram zap still work with this
> system?
> if so what is the key combo  thankyou

Hey Kurt,

Yup, because the Parameter Ram is part of the logic board (thus, of course,
hardware),  It remains as 'resetable' as always, and no, the key commands
have not changed in OS X, they are Option-Command (the 'apple' or 'open
apple key) - 'P' - 'R' (as in PARAMETER RAM) keys upon start up.  However,
the only 100% true way to reset the PRAM in one reboot is to Unplug and
Remove the battery from your computer.  Of course this may not be easy or
undaunting depending on your particular machine of level of experience with
Hardware... So if you are even the least bit hesitant to do so *DON'T*! The
next best option is to make sure you do not reset the PRAM from a warm
reboot, which means actually unplugging the computer power cord for at least
a few minutes after you have shut the machine down (often you will hear the
advice to let the machine reset three or four times before releasing the
keys - which itself is completely harmless, but may only be necessary if you
are resetting from a warm reboot (never unplugging the power cord - or
better yet turning of the surge suppressor completely).

If you want to know more about the PRAM chip themselves or about the
conditions under which it should be reset. Repost here of contact me off
list if it makes you more comfortable.  And best of luck to you!

Respectfully,

ShrinkMan
Paul N. Reid, M.S.
AASP Certified Systems Technician
Point of No Return Productions
pnreid at cox.net

Woody: "Hey Norm, want a beer?"
Norm:  "Yeah, woody.  As long as you stop me at one...
                    ... Well, now that I think about it, make that
                        one-thirty!"

Cheers