APC UPS problem on OS X

josh hough josh at rufy.com
Fri May 16 10:40:32 PDT 2003

I recently got a new APC Back-UPS ES 500 for an OS X 10.2.6 machine and
installed the Jaguar-compatible version of the APC PowerChute software.
When I test the system by unplugging the UPS, PowerChute somewhat
gracefully shuts down the machine.  However, this only works when a user is
logged in (it can be any user).  Most of the time nobody is logged into
this machine.  In that case, the UPS reaches the end of its battery life
and suddenly cuts the power, resulting in a *very* ungraceful hard shutdown.

Isn't there supposed to be a daemon running in the background all the time,
waiting for a signal from the UPS?  The System Preferences pane for APC
indicates nothing to that effect, and I can't find any relevant
documentation on their site.  Thanks for any clues.
-josh

--
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and