[G4] New system...

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Nov 9 06:00:03 PST 2003

     This is getting way off topic, but I just wanted to respond to
all the people who kept the thread going....

     J. R. Rosen wrote:

>My good Lord...
>
>This is incredible - these images!
>
>What a cool job!
>
>GOOD WORK - WOW  (I think I said that already)
>
>WOW!!!
>
>This is why I don't mind paying income taxes (too much).
>
>Keep 'em flying Mr. Gurman

     Deal. And thanks for your vote of confidence: we don't always
know if folks really want their tax $ spent this way. We certainly
appreciate it.

    Sandor Ferenczy wrote:

>1.7 gb?? nah, thats nothing =)  back when i was in school (the whole
>two years it has been) we would look for the biggest and best downloads
>to try to saturate my school's dual OC3 lines. It was simply marvelous
>having a gigabit enet machine hooked up to a gigabit enet jack on an
>dual OC3 backbone (oh, and it is amazing how fast Internet2 flies!)
>those were the days when harddrives were the bottleneck, not the
>connection, when it came to download speeds..... <sigh>   if only i had
>a 310 mbps backbone now...

     Well, I was assuming universities (even the ones on Abilene, with
OC-48 switches), were saturated with downloads of questionable
legality ;-) In fact, I was assuming most folks are limited to "high
speed" bandwidths at home of 1.5 Mbps or so, which is what I have at
home. Not that I wouldn't mind a 10 GigE pipe to my home....

     And James Asherman wrote:

>Totally! that green sun was amazing and I do have the bandwidth for 33
>mb dl's.
>Thanks again
>another tax payer.

     You're very welcome, and thank you, too, for providing the tax $
that let us do things like this.

     By the way, if you'd like to vote for your favorite SOHO still
image, check out:

	http://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/hotshots/Top10/# .

     Share & enjoy,

						Joe Gurman

--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA