Replacing G4 Power Supply Fans

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 12 11:48:48 PST 2003

I'm working with a 400MHz Sawtooth AGP G4. Unfortunately budget
constraints won't allow me to upgrade to the latest and greatest yet...

Trouble I'm having is with the power supply. The one in it now is the
third I've installed. Two earlier ones died from lightning induced
power surges and the other one died for unknown reasons. They're
certainly not very bullet proof are they?.  Anyhow the latest one
recently started making a loud noise which I've traced to the fan in
the power supply. It appears that the fan motor bearings are showing
audible signs of failure.

As the rebuilt power supplies are fairly pricey I'd like to fix this
before it fails completely.

Two questions for the group:

1) Is the power supply fan something I can replace myself? ( I am
dextrous and have some experience working in the guts of computers)

2) Any suggestions for a source of an appropriate power supply fan?

Thanks
John