USB Port compatibility? 1.1 computer to 2.0 printer

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 12 11:56:01 PST 2003

My personal ink jet printer just died. It was hooked to my computer (G4
AGP Sawtooth 400 MHz) via USB. As I've been shopping for a replacement,
I've noticed that most of the new ones have USB 2.0 connections.

I understand that if one has a USB 2.0 port on the computer that it is
backward compatible to 1.1.  appliances.   How about the other
direction?  Can I feed a USB 2.0 from a old USB port?  Obviously for
the ink jet I don't need the blazing speed of a 2.0 port.

Or will I have to invest in a USB 2.0 PCI card?   Any suggestions for
that, if I have to?

Thanks
John