[G4] Prices of Old Computers

Amir 'CG' Caspi cepheid at ssl.berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 13 09:46:28 PST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, David DelMonte wrote:

> Another thing I do is to donate my old computers to the Salvation Army
> and/or Goodwill Industries. I get a little tax write-off and they seem
> to appreciate the donation.

	If you can't sell the computer because it's too old or nobody
wants it, donation is *THE* way to go.  Goodwill and Salvation Army work
internationally and they will transport older computers overseas to
countries where old is still better than nothing.
	If you can't sell or donate (computer isn't working or you have no
access to donation, or whatever else) then *PLEASE* recycle the computer,
and any other e-waste [peripherals, printers, stereos, all electronic
equipment] that you may have!!  (Sandor, you should tell your alma mater
about this!)  Some counties have e-waste recycling in place, paid for by
taxes... and there are numerous companies (e.g. scrap metal recyclers or
others) or non-profit organizations that have e-waste programs.
Sometimes it may cost a small fee, like 25 cents a pound or $5 per monitor
or something, but depending on the organization that fee MAY be
tax-deductible.  Electronic materials, and ESPECIALLY TVs and monitors,
have a lot of toxic heavy metals in them and it is very important to
dispose of them properly, through proper recycling.  Putting them in the
landfill jeopardizes our water supply and our health.
	Other hazardous waste (batteries, fluorescent lamps, paint,
pesticide, cleaners, etc.) should also be disposed of in the proper
manner.  Your county may have a hazardous waste recycling program, or you
can try to Google a company in the area.  These items also are toxic and
should NEVER be thrown in the landfill.

	BTW, if you don't do so already, please begin making it a habit to
donate your old and unused items instead of throwing them in the landfill!
*ALL* clothing, shoes, appliances, BOOKS, encyclopedias, bicycles, toys,
whatever can be donated as long as they are in reasonable condition.
Bedframes and futons can often be donated to Goodwill although I think
Salvation Army may not want them.

Just wanted to share. =)

--
						--- Amir