[G4] Memory Culprit?

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Fri Nov 14 20:30:01 PST 2003

How can you have 1024Mb of RAM when you are using 1x512Mb and 3x256Mb chips? The numbers just don't add up. Was there a typo?

My suggestion is to remove the one chip that doesn't match the others in speed rating and run the machine for at least a week to test whether the kernel panics keep happening or go away.

If they go away - problem solved. Simply replace the offending chip with a new one that matches the rest.

In not, you may still have some incompatible RAM chip residing in your machine. Do the same test with each chip as a means of elimination. On my G4 Gigabit Ethernet model, OS-X needs the firmware upgrade to work properly and your machine may not be playing well with your RAM if you did the firmware upgrade. I found one 256Mb chip in my G4 that did not want to work with the upgrade and replaced it with a 128 until I can save up for another 256.

If the panics continue despite the RAM testing, you have some other problem which I do not have the knowledge to assist with. Good luck.