[G4] MDD Combo CD and Toast

Charles Turner turnercl at missouri.edu
Thu Nov 20 08:28:56 PST 2003

My theory about the Toast audio CD burn compatibility problem when
using my MDD G4's built-in Phillips CDD5101 combo drive, namely that it
is a DAO firmware bug in the Phillips drive, has been confirmed by
Roxio Toast tech. support. Roxio said that a fix has been available for
PCs for a while. They said that if I removed the drive, installed it in
a PC, ran the firmware update, removed the drive from the PC, and
reinstalled it in the Mac - then the problem would be fixed. Simple!
(not!)

Earlier I called Apple Care who not completely unexpectedly claimed no
knowledge of or responsibility for this problem.  Now buoyed with this
information from Roxio I'm going to call the problem in again. My call
probably won't be enough to get Apple to package up this firmware fix.
However, maybe other folks are calling this in also and eventually
we'll reach Apple's threshold of pain.

-ct