[G4] HP Printer 40xx with duplex won't work

Charles Turner turnercl at missouri.edu
Wed Nov 26 06:40:31 PST 2003

On Nov 26, 2003, at 7:15 AM, Power Macintosh G4 List wrote:

> From: Markus Schneider <mschneider at solnet.ch>
> Subject: [G4] HP Printer 40xx with duplex won't work
> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:11:53 +0100
>
> I got a HP 4050 printer with a duplex unit. Worked perfect under
> jaguar, won't work under panther

My Brother 1670N postscript printer uses Appletalk over ethernet. I
have both under Jaguar and under Panther have needed to be sure to
define this printer, specifying the correct PPD. I think I got this PPD
originally from Brother's www OSX support page. The location for these
is /<bootvol>/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/ .

Specifically I'm talking about the printer setup utility:
add printer
choose Appletalk
choose printer from list (I choose the "Postscript Printer" item)
choose Printer Model: Brother (in my case, i.e. I specify here, I don't
use "automatic")
choose appropriately from "Model Name" list (this is where the action
is, I think)
click "Add"

This selection is key to getting the actual features the printer has,
duplex, different dpi settings, etc.

However all is not perfect with my Panther printing. For my
applications that are printing, e.g. Mozilla, Discus CD label printer,
everything seems 100% as expected. On the other hand Apple's Mail
program, which I'm using as I type this, won't print. It tries. The
printer starts blinking its incoming data light. But then nothing
actually prints!

-ct