[G4] question: hard drive transfer

Philip J Robar philip.robar at myrealbox.com
Wed Nov 26 09:04:51 PST 2003

On Nov 26, 2003, at 6:58 AM, Jeffery Abbott wrote:

> Greetings Folks,
>
> I have a question for the techies:  I have a PM G4, AGP graphics model
> and an external firewire hard drive.  I would like to relocate the
> external hard drive- I think it would be better in the mac's case,
> rather than on my desk- and it would help cut down on cable clutter.
> On the box the mac shipped with, it says (3 firewire [1 internal]).
> Does this mean that I can remove the hard drive from its external case
> and put it inside my PowerMac case?
>
> Will I need anything special to do this?  A special firewire cable?
> some sort of internal power cable?  a brace to mount the drive on?
> special screws?

Your external drive is almost certainly an IDE drive connected to a
firewire bridge (a little circuit board inside the external case). If
you only have one internal drive in the bottom of your case you can
mount the external drive in the empty space above the internal one and
use the second connector on the internal cable. You will need to jumper
the currently external drive to be a slave disk. The draw back to this
configuration is that only one drive can use the connection at a time,
but depending on how you use your computer you may not notice this.

You should be able to reuse the screws that are currently securing the
disk in the external case.

Phil