Oxford 900 chip instead of the 911

Richard Kriss kriss at qsl.net
Mon Oct 6 18:45:36 PDT 2003

A local firm here has a good deal going on Firewire Enclosures for $30.

> ADS Pyro 1394 Drive Kit
> Holds one 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" IDE device
> Works with hardisks, CDROM, CDR, CDRW, DVD
> Mac and PC compatible
>
> Here's a link to the newest version of the product:
>
> http://www.adstech.com/products/PYRO1394DriveKit/intro/API800intro.asp?pi
> d=API-800
>
> The ones I'm selling have a different plastic case and
> use the Oxford 900 chip instead of the 911.

I was ready to buy until I read the fine print and discovered the unit uses
the Oxford 900 chip instead of the 911. I did a Google search on the 900 and
found

http://pcbuyersguide.com/hardware/storage/IDE_to_IEEE1394_enclosures.html

"......It also seemed to be unable to format the Maxtor drive properly on a
Mac -- but, interestingly, was able to complete the operation on the same
drive when connected to our FireWire-equipped PC running Windows XP."

Anybody had experience with the  ADS Pyro 1394 Drive Kit and/or the Oxford
900 chip on a G4 running OSX 10.2.xx?

Dick