[G4] Cable modem data light

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Tue Oct 7 05:42:06 PDT 2003

At 8:24 AM -0400 10/7/03, k s d wrote:
>, the data light rapidly blinks about
>2 or 3 times per second with a very, very slight pause every 2
>seconds or so.... constantly,
>even when I put the computer to sleep. The only time it stops is
>when I shut down, then
>starts again during the reboot.
>
>I assume this light is supposed to only be on when there is data
>being transfered to or from
>my computer..?

No.  There are regular "keep-alives" from your computer to the
router.  Also, your computer might be (probably IS) probed by cracker
programs all the time.  Also, and I am not at all sure of this,
because I do not understand the architecture of the cable modems, you
are sharing a LAN-like medium with neighbors, and is it possible that
the data light also shows all traffic that is coming over the shared
medium and not just the data that is addressed to your modem's IP
number.  Again, I am not at all sure of that.

>Any advice on Firewalls? I installed Brickhouse

Superb.  It is just a GUI for Apples (actually, UNIX's) built-in
firewall.  But, it is great and easy to configure.

If you want added sense of security, try adding (not substituting,
but adding) LittleSnitch ($24.95 shareware).  It will ask you to
authorize every connection as the need arises, and you can do it for
just once, for the time that the application remains open only, or
forever, and, of course, you can deny it forever, too.

>and Apple's is turned on. I've tried turning off
>both of the firewalls, but the blinking light continues the same as
>described above.

Sure, the firewall lives inside your computer, and the cable modem is
in front of your computer.

--Steve