[G4] Oxford 900 chip instead of the 911

Richard Wu grey17 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 7 06:05:01 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, October 7, 2003, at 08:11  AM, Power Macintosh G4 List
wrote:

> Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 20:45:36 -0500
> Subject: [G4] Oxford 900 chip instead of the 911
> From: Richard Kriss <kriss at qsl.net>
>
> A local firm here has a good deal going on Firewire Enclosures for $30.
>
>> ADS Pyro 1394 Drive Kit
>> Holds one 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" IDE device
>> Works with hardisks, CDROM, CDR, CDRW, DVD
>> Mac and PC compatible
>>
>> Here's a link to the newest version of the product:
>>
>> http://www.adstech.com/products/PYRO1394DriveKit/intro/
>> API800intro.asp?pi
>> d=API-800
>>
>> The ones I'm selling have a different plastic case and
>> use the Oxford 900 chip instead of the 911.
>
> I was ready to buy until I read the fine print and discovered the unit
> uses
> the Oxford 900 chip instead of the 911. I did a Google search on the
> 900 and
> found
>
> http://pcbuyersguide.com/hardware/storage/
> IDE_to_IEEE1394_enclosures.html
>
> "......It also seemed to be unable to format the Maxtor drive properly
> on a
> Mac -- but, interestingly, was able to complete the operation on the
> same
> drive when connected to our FireWire-equipped PC running Windows XP."
>
> Anybody had experience with the  ADS Pyro 1394 Drive Kit and/or the
> Oxford
> 900 chip on a G4 running OSX 10.2.xx?

I have a pair of the ADS Pyro 1394 Drive kits but since I've thrown
away the boxes,
I'm not certain whether they are oxford 900s or 911s, but according to
Apple's Disk
Utility app, it does not come up with oxford 911 (unlike my dual FW
enclosures which do
say oxford 911 in the info section). For the price that I paid many
moons ago (~$30 each),
they work in 10.2.6 (and lower) and work better than the piece of crap
CompUSA FW (oxford 911)
enclosure that I also have. I haven't had any problems formatting my
drives with ANY
of my enclosures - ADS, CompUSA, and no-name dual HD oxford 911
enclosure.
The best  deal of the three was my dual HD  enclosure ($45 each).
Unfortunately,
the mail order (superpcparts.com) where I purchased the dual from no
longer has them :(

    Hope this helps,
        Richard