File Sharing AlBook <=> PC

Marc van Gemert listz at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 8 02:20:14 PDT 2003

Hi guys,

I already posted this to the G-list but got no answers, maybe you can help?

I just setup a new 17" AlBook 1.33GHz for a friend, nice toy BTW :-) It
came with OS 10.2.7. I installed the latest 10.2.8 combo update after I
had installed all of his apps and after I had repaired permissions from
the 10.2.7 DVD (I tried to fix the permissions while running Disk
Utility from HD, but I had no permissions to fix the permissions, it
looked like it was fixing, but I noticed it said no permission or
something like that after every file???). After installing the 10.2.8
update I was able to fix permissions from the HD again.

Anyway the AlBook is networked via a switch to the PC (Windows XP Home
SP1, fresh install). Everything is working fine except that I can see
and mount the PC, but not the other way around. They're both in the
192.168.1.xxx range (.101 and .102) with subnet 255.255.255.0. Nothing
unusual. Enabled Mac Sharing and Windows File sharing in the File
Sharing pane. The Mac just doesn't appear in the Network Neighborhood on
the PC. Enabling Windows File Sharing should be all it takes, but it
won't. No firewall software loaded cq enabled on both PC and Mac. Am I
missing something?

Also if I open the Connect To... 'Chooser' on the Mac it takes more then
a minute before it actually shows WORKGROUPS etc, this is very long
compared to my network at home which shows it instantly. Therefor I made
an alias of the PC on the desktop. Also with 10.2.6 (at least on my
network) you could select * in the Connect To... app to refresh the
network search. This option has dissapeared in 10.2.7. Same for both
problems after 10.2.8 update. Any comments on this?

UPDATE: yesterday it showed the network instantly, but still no *.

Also how can you set up to share the whole HD in Jag instead of only
your own documents folder?

UPDATE: I need OS X Server for that part if I understand it correctly...

Thanks for any help!

Marc

*
*