[G4] RAM Advisory

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Fri Oct 17 15:41:09 PDT 2003

with os x, extra ram is used for things such as disk caching as well as
application use. this is what makes os x appear to be a "memory hog" as
the memory sub system in os x leaves little if any ram "free"

does the following make any sense??--

unlike os 9, os x likes to be in complete control of the ram and
processor, especially due to its multi tasking nature-this allows it to
more readily divide resources up. os 9 worked more like a regular
application (a regular worker) taking the resources it needs and
leaving the rest for everyone else (any other apps) to fend for
themselves, whereas os x works more like a talented manager-able to
quickly and effectively regulate who (what app) is doing what job, and
how much resources they will need (ram and processor time)    it will
also borrow resources promised for app1 if it sees they arent in use,
in order to give app2 a bigger chunk, then as soon as app1 says "yo" os
x will send it back over.

this is part of the reason that processor intensive apps could "freeze"
os 9-the apps were in complete control of the resources, and the os
didnt have much of a say. in os x this all changed, allowing the os to
disallow apps to hog resources and bog down the entire system.

the above is quite an elementary definition of cooperative
multitasking, protected memory and such, but might help some....?  so
in conclusion, get more ram, because os x will make sure it gets put to
use somewhere for something-os x thinks outside the os 9 box when it
comes to ram.

sandor