[G4] Insomniac Sawtooth

Marc van Gemert listz at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 22 00:08:19 PDT 2003

I haven't followed the whole thread, but I'll chime in here.

Jim Robertson wrote:

> But now I really AM confused! If I understand the way Classic works, the
> entire OS9 environment is a program that runs under OS X. This machine
> always boots into OS X, and it uses Classic extraordinarily rarely. So I
> don't think that the drivers in the OS 9 extensions folder are even seen by
> the CPU unless Classic is running while the machine is trying to sleep.

You're right, Jim. If Classic isn't running it can't affect OS X.
On the other end though if you fiddled with the Energy Saver settings in
OS 9 or Classic it can affect OS X, because those settings are saved in
PRAM. But a PRAM zap erases that.

> I think I had to load something to make the card work in OS X (Adaptec SCSI
> 29160N for people who've lost their way in this thread), and it may be that
> there are some files in OS X that I need to remove.

Yes that could be the case.

Don't know what version of OS X you're using, but if you're running a
recent version of Jaguar it could be that you don't need a driver at all
for this card. And if you installed an older driver, f.e. I see this
driver at http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/9369, that
that causes the probem. I have a B&W G3 with a 2930 SCSI card and I've
never installed a driver for it and it works fine with my Jaz drive (OS
X 10.2.8 BTW).

> I guess I could test this by plugging the card into a machine that's never
> seen it before and see if the card all by itself prevents sleep.

Yep that would be a good way to test it.

*
*