Newbie wireless question(s)

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 21 19:21:30 PDT 2003

A router (is best but a hub or switch can work as well) and the
ethernet cables (cat 5a usually) and OSX or Dave to share files between
the two machines.  Also an ethernet printer will save needing a printer
for each computer as it can be shared.

Another way is a Router / Airport solution (or other wireless solution)
and Airport Cards for each device.  Use an Ethernet cable for a shared
printer.  This costs a bit more, but no wires and a Laptop is really
mobile.

Note: The reason a router is best is because it hides your network with
multiple IP addresses behind it.  Most ISPs have a clause in their User
Agreement that state one device only allowed to connect at a time.  The
router broadcasts only one IP address out to your ISP.  If your ISP
wanted to watch your web traffic for anomalies they could determine how
many devices you actually have behind the router,  but if you cause no
problems it is not in their interest.

Good luck.

jj