[G4] My huge problems in upgrading to Panther

Cyn flanders1 at charter.net
Fri Oct 31 17:03:48 PST 2003

At 6:33 PM -0500 10/31/03, Paul Cooper wrote:
>You should also pay particular attention to RAM. My ti-book that was
>running fine on Jag crashed and burned on Panther due to two "bad"
>512mb ram sticks. I have found Panther a lovely OS but a very
>challenging and finicky install.

Finicky is an understatement! I did a recent clean install of Jag
knowing I was going to upgrade to Panther. So the intended disk was
squeaky clean with nothing added. I did an archive and install.
During the end of the first disk install I got a message saying there
was and error and to try again. I tried again and it I got a message
saying there was no current system folder on which to install. I
tried again with no joy. I called Apple. I had to re-install Jag and
start the process all over. I am using Panther now but I am just
waiting for something to go wrong. At the end of the first install
disk I got the shade that comes down the computer screen with a
message to restart. I am having what seems to be all of the
complaints I have read on mac lists.

Not a happy Panther user as of yet.
--

Cyn