[G4] Internet Speed Test (How good is good?)

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Wed Sep 17 03:06:54 PDT 2003

the problem with pinging is that you use such a small amount of data
that the actual test numbers can be skewed because of buffers, etc.
(just like when i test my hard drive's throughput with less than an 8
mb file-i get insane readings like 250 MB/s, because its all running
off the 8 mb buffer on the drive)

i think the larger the file, the better to test the true (working)
speed of the connection. and also i would think you would want to test
using the browser you normally use, simply because that would create a
"real-world" benchmark.

sandor