[G4] Hard drive dead?

MLaurint at Herc.com MLaurint at Herc.com
Wed Sep 17 10:56:25 PDT 2003

Roger:
I normally boot into 9.2.2 from the eide buss anyway. The Quantum is my
backup drive.
I can use FWB tool kit utility and the ATTO software and see the volume,
but the utilities says it's not available and to check the drive. I don't
think the drive is spinning up. It doesn't show up in the Apple disc first
aid program or Norton. I don't have silverlining lite.  I don't think it's
spinning up. Is there a way to tell without physically removing the disc?

Mark

                      Roger Harris
                      <roger at rogerdharris         To:      "Power Macintosh G4 List"
                      .com>                       <G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
                      Sent by: "Power             cc:
                      Macintosh G4 List"          Subject: Re: [G4] Hard drive dead?
                      <G4 at lists.themacint
                      oshguy.com>

                      09/17/03 09:08 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "Power Macintosh G4
                      List"

If you have another drive on that Mac; boot to it and look at "devices"
in the "Apple System Profiler" to see if the drive shows up. If it does
you want to boot to OS9 on the working drive. Use a utility like La
Cie's "Silverlining Lite" (works best for this) to find and mount the
drive. Run Disk warrior and Norton.

You may also try the drive on something other than the Otto.

If you don't have Silverlining Lite contact me direct.

Roger

Mark Laurint wrote:

>Today my quantum atlas V attached to my Atto controller didn't come up on
>the G4 sawtooth desktop. After opening the case, checking connections and
>restarting, the drive makes a series of three clicks and sounds like it
>doesn't spin up. Is the drive dead? Do I have any chances of reviving it
>save data?
>Thanks in advance,

----------
G4ist, a listserv for discussion of everything G4.
FAQ at <http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/G4.html>.
Send a message to <G4-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the digest.

XRouter | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers!
Dr. Bott | Now $139.99      <http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>

Dr. Bott LLC   4-port USB Hub in translucent Graphite!
Dr. Bott LLC   <http://www.drbott.com/prod/ghub.html>

Small Dog Electronics   http://www.smalldog.com  | Canon Digital Cameras |
--Quicksilver & refurbished G4's arriving daily! |   and Camcorders!!    |

OS X News, Dr.Mac, Forums, Tutorials, Tips, Hints, FAQ?s -
http://www.osxfaq.com