[G4] 3rd drive in a Yikes?

Philip Robar philip.robar at myrealbox.com
Thu Sep 18 20:51:34 PDT 2003

On Sep 4, 2003, at 9:58 AM, lavode at comcast.net wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> If I pick up a 160gb hard drive with the included PCI ATA 133 card,
> can I
> install the PCI card and install the larger drive in the 2nd drive
> position?  I
> have tried to figure out how to get the drive sled out (not the dual
> 1st and
> third sled), and can't do it.  If a Yikes isn't designed to have the
> second
> sled removed, Apple hasn't made it at all clear.

The PCI ATA card won't work in your Mac. It's firmware/BIOS (built-in
software) is PC only. The only way to use your drive in a Mac is to
bend over* and pay another $80 to $100 for an ATA 133 card that
supports a Mac.

Phil

*Sorry for the crudeness, but I it makes me boil when I have to pay 3
to 4 times the going rate of a PC part for an equivalent Mac part.