[G4] Cinema Display draws dotted lines

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 30 04:44:31 PDT 2003

     Mike Schneider wrote:

>I got an older 22" Cinema Display on my G4 - that worked perfect until
>last week. Don't know when I got it - but it was one from the
>first/secon series (4-6 years old)
>
>Now, on the left side of the display, for about 5-10 centimeters, it
>draws 'dotted' red lines from top to bottom
>
>when I press slightly on the border (not the lcd), the lines disappear.
>It's puzzeling - when I startup the G4, it never drwas the lines - just
>after working for a time (at the moment, the G4 is up for more than a
>half hour, just with screensaver - no lines)
>During the first occurencies, one single press solved the problem - but
>now, I have to press again and again - until the lines disappear
>
>is my Cinema Display cabutto??

     My, how time files when you have a nice display: the 22-inch
Cinema Display is only about three and a half years old. We got our
first ones in mid-2000, and those were the ones with the DVI
interface and the big cable harness, external power supply, &c.

     I'm not familiar with your particular problem, though it
certainly sounds as though something is debonding. It's probably not
unreasonable to think of three years (the max covered under Apple's
combined system + display AppleCare extended warranties in the US) as
the natural lifetime for an LCD display. I lost a 17-inch flat panel
at home after only a year; sadly, it was purchased on its own, and
not covered by AppleCare.Fortuinately, I felt flush enough to
purchase a 20-inch Cinema Display as a replacement.
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA