[G4] Cinema Display draws dotted lines

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Tue Sep 30 05:47:17 PDT 2003

most LCD panels are rated with around a 50,000 hour life (this is
actually the life of the light source that provides the backlighting)
translated into actual usage, that would be about 5 1/2 years of 24/7
use.

a 22 inch cinema display should not be at the end of its life yet. i
have a 10 year old power book 180c that still has a working (albeit
very dim) built in display.

in regards to the dotted lines, try something like this

http://homepage.mac.com/macguitar/FileSharing.html

to test the activity of the red green and blue pixels and see if you
can pick out certain ones which are not responding correctly.
i have had a number (30-40) of pixels on multiple LCD/active matrix
displays not respond/seem stuck, and the thing that freed them was a
gentle massaging of both the pixel and the area around it, massaging
hasnt failed me yet!

so, in conclusion, i would give the area a massage and see if it helps.
there is no way the 22 inch CD (which was the top of the heap when it
was released) should be failing already (and failure, most typically,
means degradation of the backlight, rather than stuck pixels..)

good luck!

  sandor