[G4] Affordable SCSI card for G4 MDD

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Sat Apr 17 09:56:56 PDT 2004

On Saturday, Apr 17, 2004, at 10:16 Canada/Eastern, Joseph B. Gurman
wrote:

> [...] Adaptec's Mac products:
>
> 1.  always had different part numbers from their equivalents without
> the right stuff in ROM,

Before buying a card -- whether from Adaptec or anyone else -- you
should always double-check with the manufacturer to make sure it works
with a Mac. If it doesn't say so specifically, it might -- or it might
not.

> 3. with one exception needed new drivers for every release of OS X,
> including some point releases,

That has not been my experience; in fact, I believe that, starting with
v10.2.x, Adaptec drivers are bundled with the OS. Do a search for
"Adaptec" on your boot drive, and you'll find the relevant .kexts.

> [...] We dropped the SCSI scanner we had because its OS X software was
> so poor --- before we knew about VueSCAN).

I'd suggest thinking well and hard before going the SCSI route for a
scanner. Unless there's a very good reason (e.g., an expensive
professional scanner which can't be replaced at this point), in the end
it's probably better to get a new scanner, which is going to be USB or
FW at the higher end. It's not only the actual hardware, but the
software required to use it.