[G4] G4 500 Freeze Problems

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 22 04:59:23 PDT 2004

On Thursday, April 22, 2004, at 02:03 AM, Greg Loumos wrote:

> And just to get me up to speed, is Classic an alternative that one
> makes on the fly when in OS X?

I'll leave the more advanced technical answers about HDD's and eMac
OS-X to others who have direct knowledge.

Classic runs in the background. You can have it load when you start up.
Or if you have limited memory resources you can set  it to  load only
when you start up an application that requires OS-9. (I have 750 MB RAM
and have never had memory problems even with Photoshop.... but then I'm
a hobbyist not a production shop). When a Classic app runs the screen
quickly changes to the Classic look even including the rainbow colored
Apple. It's really a no brainer.

And for me, using X-Assist, a shareware app that returns the OS 9-like
application switching to the upper right hand corner, makes life with
two systems more comfortable. (In Jaguar it was in theory replaced by
the Dock)

John