[G4] Encrypted Hard Disk

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 22 06:21:07 PDT 2004

     Michael Ron wrote:

>I keep client material on separate, external hard drives.  One contains
>sensitive data. Do you know of a way to keep this disk encrypted except
>when we're using it? Is there a program I can use. Can't use OSX built
>in security since it's for the Home folder.

     If you can charge the cost of encryption to each customer, you
might want to take a look at:

	http://www.wiebetech.com/products/firewireencrypt.html .

The various eWeek articles linked there make interesting reading on
why one might, or might nor, want firmware-encrypted hard drives.

     Wiebetech (and I'm certain others as well) also offer external
drive enclosures that take drive trays with key locks that can
prevent the drives from spinning up.

     FWIW,

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA