[G4] Encrypted Hard Disk

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Thu Apr 22 06:42:17 PDT 2004

On Thursday, Apr 22, 2004, at 04:15 Canada/Eastern, Michael Ron wrote:

> I keep client material on separate, external hard drives.  One
> contains sensitive data. Do you know of a way to keep this disk
> encrypted except when we're using it? Is there a program I can use.
> Can't use OSX built in security since it's for the Home folder.

Which version of OS X? _If_ it's Panther, and _if_ you're talking about
File Vault, it's probably not a good idea to use it. There have been
relative numerous reports of issues with this programme.

There are various methods of initializing or creating partitions which
require passwords to mount. However, the easiest solution, which
doesn't require any additional software, is to use Disk Utility (_if_
you're on Panther) or Disk Copy to create and store on your client's
ext'l drive a read/write password-protected disk image. When mounted,
the image behaves like any other volume.