[G4] Flicker on an older i-mac

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Mon Apr 26 19:30:20 PDT 2004

Whoever suggested that you might have a loose solder joint has a loose
solder joint in his head. Solder doesn't come loose except when it is
subjected to repeated stress such as removing and replacing cables in
sockets or other such activity. A fly-back transformer, on the other
hand, can suffer degradation over time and fail completely.

Unless you have had your iMac case open for maintenance/upgrading,
there should not have been any movement of the video cables inside the
case, so that narrows or rules out the possibility of cable coming out
of their sockets and causing improper connections with concurrent color
problems.

Therefore, it appears that your iMac is simply getting old and needs to
be replaced. Many of the older iMacs suffer from fading video and
eventually end up not being able to boot at all because of other
circuit problems associated with the video circuitry. They will power
on momentarily and then shut off entirely as if they have over-heated.
The cost of repairing this problem is almost as much as the cost of
replacing the machine.

  My suggestion is that you back-up all your data to an external drive
and look for a replacement computer soon. While you can, make sure that
you have current back-ups that you can access with another computer.
The current models and prices entice me to suggest that you look at an
eMac with a super drive. This combination can be less than $1,100 from
some dealers/vendors if you shop around.

That would give you a G4 with CD burn ability, more RAM, probably a
larger hard drive, maybe faster ethernet connections, FireWire sockets,
and a bigger monitor screen to boot. Besides, you probably wanted one
already and this would give you the perfect excuse to spend money on
yourself.