Xerox color printers

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 27 20:42:07 PDT 2004

I have a Phaser 350 (Techtronix, now Xerox).  This thing gives awesome
colour and will produce different profiles comparable to different
printers.  Commercial seems to match up well with a US Sheet Fed Press
for me.  I and my customers really like the quality and colour accuracy
of the prints.  Both OS9 and OSX drivers are available and my printer
is old.  The newer models should be very good as well.

I have some down side - ink is expensive, even with free black ink
		-ask if the printer will print in Black only mode (and make sure its
not 50% black (K) and 50% cyan (C) as some printers do for true black)
		-ebay is your cheapest source for ink - look for large lots with
colour sticks (not all black)
		-every time you turn the printer on it uses a gob of ink to ready
itself - never turn it off uses less ink - and then it prints a
cleaning page (100% coverage) as well
		-these lasers run warm and it takes time (10-12 minutes) to melt the
cool ink to a liquid for the first print

Also be aware that OSX wants to run with your router with DHCP so check
that the printer will function with ethernet connection using DHCP.
Any other connection plan will require more sweat to connect. Example-
my 350 does not have DHCP but my router has a printer port (like an IBM
has) and so doe the printer so it is connected via the Printer Cable as
an LPR Printer - this was a pain is the ass to figure out and I truly
wish it had the DHCP option.

As above, take a look at ebay.  There are often printers at very
reasonable prices to be had.  Just make sure you do your homework about
the costs of running it.  Don't believe what the company has to say
about costs and ink usage (5% coverage is a 10 line letter on a page).
Their stats are definately built to sell you a printer and then ink for
life.

If you qualify Xerox will give you a printer FREE but you need to
guarantee you will print XX number of pages per month and set a
purchase contract in place for the ink at the beginning - ya right -
good luck on this as a small business.  But I would still look it up
and ask.

jj