[G4] Adding HD capacity..

Craig Turner cwt4885 at email.unc.edu
Fri Apr 30 08:27:41 PDT 2004

Steve,

I added an external Firewire drive from Other World Computing. Bought
the case (they come in Firewire/USB and USB versions; get the
Firewire/USB) and put in an 80Gig HD (bought from New Egg--I think it
was an Hitachi drive, 7200RPM).

There is no problem with the OWC cases that have the Oxford 911 chip
installed; it is fast and reliable. You might alternatively choose to
just let OWC put a drive in it—check their site. Of course, there are
lots of places now that have external Firewire drives. Just look
around.

You can chain together Firewire drives very easily, and at 200+ Gig HDs
now available, you can quickly add space for lots of
video/audio/graphic files.

HTH,
Craig Turner