[G4] Adding HD capacity..

Mike Cameron mcamero at pop3.utoledo.edu
Fri Apr 30 10:38:24 PDT 2004

I have added both internal IDE and external Firewire drives to my
system (Quicksilver 733) for video editing.  No problems either way.

I've heard that either 5400 or 7200RPM will work fine.  Mine are all
the higher speed.  If you wish to add internal, you need to get
another IDE controller card.  I have 4 internal drives in my system
with no problems (heat or otherwise).  The controllers and internal
disks are very easy to install and if you need, there are internet
sites that take you through step by step.

Two of my firewire drives are from OWC and work great.  Again I have
the 7200RPM disks and the only time I had problems was when I stacked
them with an external CD device on top.  They overheated - no
internal fans on these units.

I did have problems with another firewire disk unit.  I purchased a
firewire box (forget the brand) which has the 911 chip support and
allows one to purchase a disk separately (or a CD writer or other
device) and insert into the box.  On occasion, this unit gave an
error message during video editing that it could not keep up.  Don't
know if it was the firewire box or the disk (a high speed Maxtor).

Either approach should be OK.  I'm guessing that the firewire
approach will be a little more expensive.  As for size, I've always
purchased the largest economical size available (look at cost per
gigabyte).

Mike
(formerly from the Iron Range)