[G4] Hard Drive Bloat

Robert A. Rosenberg hal9001 at panix.com
Wed Aug 4 21:21:25 PDT 2004

At 20:44 -0700 on 08/02/2004, Lavode wrote about [G4] Hard Drive Bloat:

>Hi all,
>
>I have a Yikes/400, with 2 20gb Hard drives.  One acts as a backup for
>the other, and I occasionally use CCC to image my startup disk to the
>second drive.  I have noticed I can no longer burn DVDs without an
>error message from the finder indicating that I need at least as much
>space on my hard drive as there is on the DVD.  I usually keep around
>5gb free.  However, I recently got an error saying I was about to run
>out of room!  I cleaned house, then checked my most recent image on the
>second drive.  Even after house cleaning, my primary drive has 3 gb
>less than the backup I made a month ago!  I have not added that many
>new apps, nor do I save huge files to the drive.  I have compared the
>folder sizes of what is visible between the primary and backup drives,
>and they are almost the same.  So where is this 3+ gb going?  Anyone
>have any ideas on what I can do to reclaim this lost space?
>
>TIA,
>Lavode

One thing that can cause the disk usage to go up is watching lots of
DVDs. Every time you watch a new DVD for the first time, its Desktop
files get copied to your Boot Drive never to get deleted/removed
again. These files are hidden so unless you look in the correct
directory (using a "Show Invisible/Hidden" option) you'll never know
they exist or be able to clean them up. Getting rid of them frees up
space and the only downside is that you lose your bookmark of where
you left off viewing the DVD and need to recopy the files if/when you
view that DVD again.