[G4] Re: identifying a Radeon 8500

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Tue Dec 7 16:58:36 PST 2004

On Dec 7, 2004, at 5:42 PM, Sean Collins wrote:

>> ATI said they can't identify the card  without the P/N 102 number?
>
> The barcode label has this serial number, as well as the model name:
> "Radeon8500Mac64M"
>
> If someone has removed the label, there's no way to tell, since the
> exact same hardware was used for PCs too.  The only difference was in
> the firmware, flashed for PC or Mac.

I found a number on the card itself that is PN 109-85700-00.  I looked
all over the ATI site, and found a passing mention of 109 part numbers.
  I did a search of the site with that number that returned no results.
I now have 2 of these cards.  One is in my G4, the other is on the
floor.  I have tried a couple of times to flash it with a PC Rom, but
have had no luck yet.  It's kind of hard to find a compatible Rom when
you don't know what card you are working with.  Is the PC version of
the Radeon 8500 sold under a different name?  All of the Rom searches I
have done have been unable to locate a   PC version of the Rom. BTW, I
am attempting the PC flashes blind, because I don't have a PCI card for
the PC.  Would that prevent the system from booting to the "A" prompt?

Thanks--

Kevin