[G4] New G4 1.73s! Questions!

Nicolas Kinnan nasw at pcmagic.net
Wed Dec 8 21:46:03 PST 2004

Howdy,

Anybody here know if the new GigaDesigns Dual 1.73GHz G4 upgrade
boards, which don't have any L3 cache, would be significantly faster
for DV and 3-D shooters, than the older dual 1.33GHz units that have
2MB of L3 cache per chip?

I can't seem to find any tests that show, clearly and simply, what
kinds of advantages big L3 cache provides and doesn't provide.

Also, one of these 1.73 upgrades is a pair of over-clocked 1.43GHz
chips, while its much more expensive stable-mate is made up of two OC'd
1.6GHz units.  Is there any scientifically sound reason to suspect that
the 1.6-based units my be more durable due to lower stress?

I figure this is all a shot in the dark as these are so new, but I am
hoping someone here knows what there is to know about it all.

Thanks in advance,

Alex