[G4] Processor Upgrade ?

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sun Dec 12 14:51:07 PST 2004

On 12 Dec, 2004, at 14:10, Richard M. Kriss wrote:

The new (tower) G5's only have room for one drive and that was a big
turn off.

Maybe I should consider one of the new after market faster processors.
I wonder
if I will really see much difference with something less than a 1GB?

Answer #1: So, buy an external firewire drive case and put in a giant
drive. You will be able to boot from it, use it as a scratch disk,
back-up from the internal drive, etc, etc, etc.

Answer #2: You are darned right - you WILL see a definite improvement
but don't settle for less than a 1GHz upgrade. I recommend this minimum
speed and the Sonnet line because of personal experience.

We all get "new Mac" fever when we visit the store. It's a secret virus
that you catch when you walk in the door and there is no cure until you
empty your wallet and bank account and max out your credit card. Sorry
'bout that.