[G4] Ram Question

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 13 03:39:06 PST 2004

On 13-Dec-04, at 12:08 AM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> i have a mdd dual 867 and i would like increase the ram by 512 mb.  i
> have a few questions.  are there different makes of ram, if so does
> the quality and reliability vary?  are there companies that group
> members find to be better?

There are many makes.  OSX is kinda picky, so be sure to buy at a
company with a liberal, lifetime return policy.
Generic Ram tends to be cheaper and have more problems than Name Brand.

MacSolutions, OWC, SmallDog, RamSeeker (will find lowest price)

> according to the specs at the apple site this machine says that is
> machine can use pc2100 or pc27oo memory (there is a single 256 mb
> pc2100 in it now).  what is the difference between the two types and
> how do they influence how the machine works?

2100 is your RAM but the 2700 will run at the same speed as the 2100
stuff.  They did this because they could stop producing the 2100 - less
different manufacturing equals more efficiency equals cheaper and more
profit.

I found that I liked my original RAM more than the newer, it was more
reliable.  I had a Sawtooth with PC100 and then PC133 came along and
the 100 was very hard to find.  The 2100 and 2700 I have no experience
with.

I also found that mixing the two RAMs in the same machine was not as
good as all one kind - I had two machines, so one was pc100 only and
the other was pc133 only.  This worked well for both machines.

jj