[G4] Wireless networking

Eric Volker ebv1 at charter.net
Mon Dec 27 12:36:15 PST 2004

Let me issue a quick disclaimer: I'm not sure this will help you out.
But it has worked for me many times with troublesome Windows to Windows
connections. Finding the IP address on a Windows machine requires a
trip to the command prompt. Click on Start>Run, then enter "cmd" and
click OK. You should get a black DOS screen. Type in "ipconfig" and hit
enter. The IP address will be one parameters that's printed out. Then
go to the Finder on your Mac, click on Go>Connect to Server and enter
"smb://192.168.1.1". Substitute your Windows machine's IP address for
the 192.168.1.1 in the above command. I don't know if that'll help you,
but it's certainly worth a try.

One problem with this method is that if the IP address changes on your
Windows machine, you won't be able to connect again until you find out
the new address for the XP PC. If you have DHCP configured on your
network, your IP address will change frequently. If this method works
for you, get back to me and I'll tell you how to configure a static
(i.e., permanent) address for your Windows box.

Eric Volker
ebv1 at charter.net

On Dec 27, 2004, at 1:56 PM, Valerie Maples wrote:

>  Thanks for getting back to me, Eric.  I have been without help most
> of the
> last week, so I apologize for the slow reply.  I know how to find the
> IP
> address on my Macintosh, how do I located on the Windows XP machine? I
> would
> have thought I would find that by clicking on the status of this
> connection,
> but that does not yield information.
>
> Thanks again for your help!
>
> Valerie Maples
>
> Macintosh Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5
> 1 GB DDR SDRAM
> 160 GB HD
> iListen 1.6.5
> System OS X 10.3.7
> Sennheiser e845s microphone
>

> On 12/20/04 7:25 PM, "Eric Volker" <ebv1 at charter.net> wrote:
>
>> Valerie-
>>
>> One trick that sometimes works is to map to the IP address of the
>> Windows machine. Thus, if the windows machine has an IP address of
>> 192.168.1.1, you would go to finder, View>Go>Connect to server, then
>> type in "smb://192.168.1.1" under Server Address. I'm sorry if you've
>> already been through this, but I only just now read the last few
>> postings.
>>
>> Eric

>>> Windows XP Pro

>>> To remove all doubt, I set it open to all users at the root
>>> directory.
>>> have a hardware firewall, but the windows software firewall disabled
>>> for
>>> now.

>>> Since the PC has full access to the Mac and can read and write to
>>> it, I
>>> would think they are in the same group.

>>> I am the sole user /account on the PC and yes, have administrator
>>> privileges.  I am using Mac OS X 10.3.6 and when I click on network
>>> all
>>> through the machine, it has a connect6 button which asks me to log on
>>> (I
>>> have no password), and when I click connect, I get the error message,
>>> "The
>>> alias "DELL8200" could not be opened, because the original item
>>> cannot
>>> be