[G4] Re: TemperatureMonitor

CJ Scaminaci halogenius at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 27 16:42:37 PST 2004

On Dec 27, 2004, at 2:40 PM, Ron Steinke arrogantly wrote:
> Tony didn't say that his G4 was a 1GHZ native machine. My G4 is a
> Gigabit Ethernet model with an upgrade 1GHz processor, but it never
> had a temperature sensor in it. If Tony has put an upgraded processor
> in an older G4, he cannot expect that there would be any temperature
> sensors built into the case.

You misunderstood. By G4 1Ghz models I was talking about the processor
itself. I believe it was the 7450 and later that didn't have the
feature. The three servers here that have a G4 model prior to 7450 do
have temperature sensors. The remaining 8 that are post 7450 do not.
That should give you a good idea of what I mean, considering the 1Ghz
model was the 7455 (with the exception of the hundred or so 7450 chips
that made it into some quicksilver machines).

> It would be nice to see a list of the G4 machines that DO have
> temperature sensors rather than be told that Apple didn't put sensors
> in "a good portion of the 1GHz models... They were deemed to
> inaccurate....". Does such a list exist, or does someone have to put
> it together for posting?

He never asked a specific question, I was merely giving the information
I knew was true. Why are you so hostile over such a trivial matter?

> If a true temperature monitor/indicator is the subject of discussion,
> that is a horse of a different color. The installation of sensors and
> temperature control software was to reduce a heat problem, not to
> provide internal temperature readings like a cooking thermometer. I
> haven't heard of anything that will give a real-time readout of
> temperatures within the machine case. Maybe there is something in the
> Martha Stewart cooking hardware department?

I think there's probably a reason there's nothing around. Cooling Macs
is trivial, they don't have heat problems (with the exception of the G4
Cube). The reason anything pre-7450 even had a temperature sensor was
because they were using FPGA's to simulate the CPU in development. That
was a point where changing chip architecture actually helped reduce
heat! It was merely in production machines for a convenience factor;
meaning, it was more or less a cooking thermometer :).