[G4] Mac G4 Lost Password

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Fri Dec 31 06:46:57 PST 2004

On 12/30/04 10:23 AM, "Keith Whaley" <keith_w at dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Actually, Finder Apple menu, mouse click and release on System
> Preferences, then select My Account. That's where your password is, with
> options for changing it.

That won't work to help the person who submitted the question originally,
because he cannot get to the Finder desktop (he cannot log in because he
doesn't know the password). When he boots from the CD he won't have access
to System Preferences from the Finder. As others have pointed out, he'll be
able to replace the master password when booted from the CD. Changing the
password in System Preferences when booted from the hard drive requires
knowing the password to get there (if the password is required to log in),
and certainly requires knowing the password to change it.

Jim Robertson