[G4] Mac G4 Lost Password

Paul Moortgat paul.moortgat at pandora.be
Fri Dec 31 09:45:56 PST 2004

But what should you do if have forgotten your only administrator
password? If this is the case, then this is the time to locate Mac OS X
Installer CD. Unfortunately, I was unable to supply screen shots for
the following instructions since I have to boot from the Installer CD
which does not allow creation files (screen shots, in this case) on a
locked volume, so follow these steps in order to reset the
administrator password:
	• 	 1. Boot up from the Mac OS X Installer CD.
	• 	2. Once you have reached the initial Installer screen, select Reset
Password from the Installer menu. This will automatically launch the
Reset Password application.
	• 	3. With Reset Password active, select the Mac OS X volume which
contains the password you wish to change.
	• 	4. After selecting the Mac OS X volume, click on the popup menu for
the admin user that you want to reset the password.
	• 	5. Once you have selected the admin user, type in the new password
that you want in both the "Enter a new password for this user" and in
"Reenter the new password for this user" fields.
	• 	6. Now click on the Save button to save the new password for this
user.
	• 	7. After clicking on the Save button, go ahead and quit the Reset
Password application which will bring you back to the initial Installer
screen.
	• 	8. From the initial Installer screen, select Quit Installer for the
Installer menu.
	• 	9. You will then be prompted on whether you want to quit, select
the Restart button in this dialog to restart your machine.

Paul Moortgat