[G4] G4 Yikes and sawtooth adding and up grade hard drives

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 3 04:26:57 PST 2004

AHA!.  Finally a question I can help with!!

Darryl-
	I'm not 100% sure of what you're trying to do.   Just add a second
drive or create a Raid array. You're question shows you have some
knowledge of both.

Adding a second drive to a Sawtooth (and I suppose a Yikes!) is pretty
straight forward. For some instructions of how to do it see Apple Care
Document #31292 and 58429 for example. . There are others seems to be
fairly thorough  (A little searching with Sherlock will turn up lots of
help for this BTW)

No reason to have to buy another controller. The machine as it was
shipped from Apple comes with all you need to add a second hard drive.
When you're done with the installation OSX will treat the drives as
separate units. That is you'll have to tell the machine what drive to
store or find things on. Of course the Find command in Finder can be
set to search all local drives without having to tell it which drive to
look on.

I went with the 80 gig IBM drive and have had no problems. And not a
hitch with the installation.

'Fraid I can't tell you anything about the Raid-0 installations.  But
check out Apple article #42715. No real reason to invest in a Raid
array unless you're involved with creating the huge files of the kind
associated with video.

HTH,
John