[G4] MIDI

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 3 04:57:44 PST 2004

Paul -
I don't have the Casio keyboard but I do use a Roland. so I can't be
absolutely sure what cables are called for. Most keyboards I've seen
have three MIDI cable connections in the back. The MIDI IN, OUT, and
THRU  ports on the keyboard are about 1/2" in diameter and have 5 pin
connections. They look sorta like microphone connectors.  I've never
looked at the really low end Casio's but I doubt they are MIDI capable.

Depending on exactly what you want to do will require one or two cables
of sufficient length to reach your adapter and the your computer.

You need one cable (MIDI-IN) if you only want to use the Casio only as
an input to your computer and have the computer handle all the sound
generation and playback.

You need two cables MIDI-IN and MIDI-OUT if you want the keyboard's
sound chip to handle some of the sound generation.  I do this because
the Roland chip for Grand piano is far far superior to the one included
with Apple MIDI instruments.

You need an adapter to connect the MIDI cable(s) to your computer. This
can take several forms. I have a Serial to MIDI adapter by Opcode
called the MIDI Translator II for one system and a USB to MIDI adapter
by Mark of the Unicorn (see www.MOTU.com) for my Sawtooth. Both are
small external boxes that have a single computer connection and several
sockets for connecting MIDI cables. You'll need the simplest unless you
plan to add a bunch of other MIDI inputs in the future. I believe that
one can also purchase a PCI MIDI connection but I never investigated
those.

Then of course you need some kind of software to handle the data to be
generated. I just read a review of Apple's  Garage Band that sounds
like it might do what you need. I happen to Finale because I mostly use
my system for composing and creating written music. Tho it does handle
MIDI input, sequencing, and playback, there are MUCH better apps out
there to do that.  I'm just not familiar with them.

Good luck,
John