Pioneer 107 and DVD media question

csean at poc.it csean at poc.it
Wed Feb 4 03:03:34 PST 2004

on 03/02/2004 21:31, Power Macintosh G4 List at G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> From: rich northouse <rnorthouse at wi.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: [G4] Pioneer 107 and DVD media question
> Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:05:33 -0600
>
> I think you guys got too much time on your hands -- way too much!
>
> rich

I know what you mean, Rich, but given the talk of potential illegality here,
I was just trying to avoid having WAY too much time on my hands: i.e., in
jail. Guy in Italy just got 5 (five) years for selling copies of audio
cassettes and CDs. Key word "selling" (it was also his 3rd conviction,
IIRC), but 5 years is definitely hard time. Manslaughterers often get 2 or
3.

Chris

P.S. Interesting find re. Macrovision protection on DVDs. I have a ton of
DVDs I bought in Italy (often sold along with major newspapers and weekly
mags), that have no anti-copy protection on them. They also don't mention
that copying is prohibited (rental, showing in public, etc. are prohibited).
This differs from a commercial DVD I bought in the UK, which has Macrovision
protection and specifically lists "no copying" allowed.
Don't know the legal ramifications here. Anyone?